Wednesday, October 24, 2012

So you want to be a singer, just pay us RM7,000



Police have recorded a statement from a 26-year-old man from Petaling Jaya in connection with a singing contest scam.

Lee Chuan Fai, 26, a draughtsman, who was alleged to have been one of the masterminds, claimed he was a victim.

"I had a shock when I saw my name was misused as a director of a company linked to the organisation of the contest without my consent," he said yesterday.

"I want to clear my name as I have never been involved in staging any singing contest.

"That is why I have travelled all the way from Selangor to Penang to assist police in their investigations."

It is learnt that four people had lodged reports in connection with the scam in which many had deposited up to RM7,000 (about US$1,000) each in a bank account to take part in the contest.

It was reported that about 100 aspiring singers were swindled by the company which promised to organise the called "Idol Search and Cover Guys and Girls" contest in May.

They sensed something amiss after the organiser withdrew the money from the account and absconded. Police have identified two men behind the scam.